Re: Accessing > 256MB RAM on O2

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009, John Klos wrote:

        Is there any sense in providing a slightly more MI interface for
        this? I'm thinking about some of the other ports which have
        some fast RAM and some much slower like atari and amiga, and
        maybe even x86 boxes used as servers which sometimes end up
        with large RAM (512M) video cards... :)

        Actually... continuing on the 'not entirely practical' route...
        You can pick up 256MB PCI graphics cards for under ?30 nowdays.
        http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290295456878
        Given how expensive RAM is for some (non x86) systems, it could
        almost be worth it to use them as fast swap... (I *said* it was
         'not entirely practical' :)

I agree wholeheartedly. The 16 megs of "fast memory" on the motherboard of an Amiga 4000 would definitely fit into this category, and since a one gigabyte, 16 lane PCIe card is less than $100 USD, I could see this go beyond "not entirely practical" to an excellent, high performance swap space.

Now... which company is building PCIe expansion boards for the Amiga? (ha ha ha)

        Well, if you stick to *PCI* rather than PCIe, EURO 120 for the
        4 slot Prometheus board, and then the challenge would be to
        drive four 256M PCI graphics cards...
        http://www.vwshop.it/?pci-expansions,8

        (Class A drugs optional :)