Re: R10K crmfb

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 03:16:33PM -0400, Michael Lorenz wrote:

> >>This is weird, as if the graphics backend reads from different tiles
> >>than the rendering engine writes to, or the rendering engine doesn't
> >>render. Crmfb doesn't directly access any visible video memory - to
> >>avoid having to deal with tile borders I have rasops draw into an
> >>off-
> >>screen tile and then blit it into place. Maybe I should memset() it
> >>with something recognizeable for testing.
> >>Do the red lines disappear eventually?
> >
> >No. But the white line appears in several steps while the system is
> >booting, they seem related to wscons printing characters on
> >the display.
>
> Maybe you're seeing the supposedly off-screen tile I use for drawing.
> But even then the characters should be readable unless you're in the
> wrong colour depth for some reason.

No characters, only these dark-red vertical lines, and horizontal lines
that appears when characters output by wscons.

> >>If they do then at least the memory transfer engine works ( it's kind
> >>of a very simple but very fast blitter, setup errors are rather
> >>unlikely for lack of functionality )

> >>Hmm, I never tested crmfb with anything else than 1280x1024
> >>( couldn't figure out how to change video mode in ARCS or how to make
> >>IRIX's video mode stick ). The memory transfer engine has some weird
> >>constraints regarding the width of a rectangle to copy but 1024 would
> >>be even more likely to fit than 1280.
> >
> >I'm not sure how to set it to 1280x1024 in ARCS. The display is an old
> >17" CRT, it can't do 1280x1024 at more than 60Hz.
>
> Ah, my monitor doesn't do DDC and the only DDC monitor I have is a
> 17" CRT that reports 1280x960 as preferred mode.
> If you plug in the monitor after powering up the O2 it should default
> to 1280x1024 at 60Hz.

It does:
crmfb0 at mainbus0 addr 0x16000000: SGI CRIME Graphics Display Engine
crmfb0: initial resolution 1280x1024
crmfb0: allocated 5242880 byte fb @ 0x80060000 (0xa1400000)
wsdisplay0 at crmfb0 kbdmux 1: console (default, vt100 emulation)
wsmux1: connecting to wsdisplay0

> Could you please try that? If that works I know
> at least where to look.

I still get the dark-red vertical lines, and white horizontal lines.
The difference is that there's now more of them (I have 8 horizontal
lines instead of 6, for example.