Re: R10K crmfb

Hello,

On Jun 24, 2008, at 15:04, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
[moved to port-sgimips]

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 02:57:32PM -0400, Michael Lorenz wrote:

Hello,

On Jun 24, 2008, at 14:30, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 10:42:13AM -0400, Michael Lorenz wrote:
PS: something completely different - does crmfb work properly on
your
R10k O2? And did you ever try my accelerated X hack?

I've used it though serial console for the USB tests. I can try the
VGA display this evening.

Thanks :)

Well, crmfb0 itself doesn't work. The system boots, but the display is
messed up: thin (1 pixel) dark red vertical lines on a black
background,
with 6 2-pixed white horizontal lines, starting a line 0.

This is weird, as if the graphics backend reads from different tiles
than the rendering engine writes to, or the rendering engine doesn't
render. Crmfb doesn't directly access any visible video memory - to
avoid having to deal with tile borders I have rasops draw into an off-
screen tile and then blit it into place. Maybe I should memset() it
with something recognizeable for testing.
Do the red lines disappear eventually?

No. But the white line appears in several steps while the system is
booting, they seem related to wscons printing characters on
the display.

Maybe you're seeing the supposedly off-screen tile I use for drawing. But even then the characters should be readable unless you're in the wrong colour depth for some reason.

If they do then at least the memory transfer engine works ( it's kind
of a very simple but very fast blitter, setup errors are rather
unlikely for lack of functionality )

crmfb0: initial resolution 1024x768

Hmm, I never tested crmfb with anything else than 1280x1024
( couldn't figure out how to change video mode in ARCS or how to make
IRIX's video mode stick ). The memory transfer engine has some weird
constraints regarding the width of a rectangle to copy but 1024 would
be even more likely to fit than 1280.

I'm not sure how to set it to 1280x1024 in ARCS. The display is an old
17" CRT, it can't do 1280x1024 at more than 60Hz.

Ah, my monitor doesn't do DDC and the only DDC monitor I have is a 17" CRT that reports 1280x960 as preferred mode. If you plug in the monitor after powering up the O2 it should default to 1280x1024 at 60Hz. Could you please try that? If that works I know at least where to look.

have fun
Michael