Re: QNAP TS 101 as sane- server -problem

On 03/03/14 10:27, Frank Wille wrote:
On Sun, 02 Mar 2014 22:05:48 +0000
Helge Muehlmeier <H_Muehlmeier%gmx.de@localhost> wrote:

I want to use this device as scanner-server using sane and I made a
working setup with a custom kernel.
Nice! Can you give some more information about the setup? That would
certainly be interesting to read for others.

I will describe my setup tomorrow because I'm running out of time today :-(

I guess you used sane-backends from pkgsrc? Any other configurations
required?
Yes. sane-backends from pkgsrc. man "saned" is a good starting point... (but I will describe it soon in this thread :-))

Which scanner model?
I use a Epson Perfection 1260 (with this model I was able to setup a scanner server years ago on a OpenBSD system)

I have an old USB scanner somewhere. Maybe I can try to set it up on a
sandpoint-NAS myself, so we can see if it is a general problem.

That sounds interesting...

My problem is, that the scanned images on my workstation are in a very
poor quality... Not only if I use my workstation over a network
connection...
The images I scanned with scanimage on the QNAP device are bad, too...
I didn't know what a scanner-server is, but I found out that "saned" can
be used to set up such a service.
That's it :-)

Ok, so the scanner is already providing a poor quality scan, when
connected to the QNAP, and "saned" is irrelevant.

Can you define "poor"? Is it a lower dpi resolution than expected? Or is
the scan wrong (corrupted or swapped pixels, wrong colors)?
Is there a free webspace where some images can be uploaded? I think that pictures will explain it better...

The scanner works perfectly if I use it directly attached on my
workstation.
What kind of system is that? Also running NetBSD? Using the same SANE
configuration?
Yes NetBSD.

btw.: I used several pkgsrc branches on my QNAP. Same result...

Unfortunately I cannot help you with SANE at all, as I never managed to
install a NetBSD scanner myself. ;)
Lets give it a try... It is very simple and useful... My plan is to setup a scanner and printer service for my home- network :-)

But it would be very strange when the same scanner delivers different
quality with the same NetBSD and SANE version on different systems. The
USB device driver source is machine-independant, and the QNAP has a
standard NEC D720101 USB chip (OHCI).

My first guess would be different configurations, or a problem with
big-endian in SANE (provided your workstation is little-endian).

I have no idea about that...

Do I have to use different settings in my kernel?

Here are my settings I added to the GENERIC kernel:

#USB Generic Driver
ugen* at uhub? port ?

#scanner
#uscanner* at uhub? port ?
usscanner* at uhub? port ?

Any ideas?
Does the scanner really talk SCSI-over-USB?
Just use the same configuration as on your workstation.
If "usscanner" isn't in kernel I guess the scanner wouldn't be found with sane-find-scanner or scanimage (-L)

Greetings,
Helge