Re: Problems on TS-101

On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 22:59:54 +0200
Hannes Hegewald <hannes.hegewald%googlemail.com@localhost> wrote:

> tried various altboot and netbsd-INSTALL images and ended up with
> netbsd from HEAD/201108250420Z and altboot from
> ftp://ftp./netbsd/.org/pub//NetBSD//misc/phx/sandpoint//altboot/./bin/.gz .

Is there still a problem with recent altboot versions?
IIRC the crash, which was caused by switching to GCC4.5, was fixed two
weeks ago.

> Here's the output:
>
>     U-Boot 1.1.2 (Aug 28 2005 - 13:37:25) QNAP System, Inc.
>
>     CPU:   MPC8245 Revision 1.4 at 266.666 MHz: 16 kB I-Cache 16 kB

What version of TS-101 is it?
Is it a V200 board with Realtek NIC and a female serial connector, or is
it a V1.02 board with Intel NIC and a male serial connector?

I'm running a V200 board since several months. Would be interesting to
hear about a V1.02 board, though.

>     timeout
>     timeout
>     timeout
>     timeout
>     read text error: Unknown error: code 60

Hmm. Did you try a second time, without switching the device off?

When it is a V200 board, then there is a known bug in altboot's rge
(Realtek Gigabit Ethernet) driver. For some reason which I never found out,
it does not work after a cold start.

Usually you let the device reset and try again.

When all that doesn't help, there is still a last option for you: boot the
install kernel from memory.

Additionally to loading altboot.bin with loadb into memory you can load
netbsd-INSTALL with loadb to a different memory location, e.g. 0x1200000.
Then run altboot with the argument "mem:1200000" to boot the kernel from
memory.

Once the machine is set up you no longer have to care about it, because
then you can load the kernel from disk.

--
Frank Wille