Re: DS-207 network failure

On Wed, 25 May 2011 22:26:52 +0100
Julian Coleman <jdc%coris.org.uk@localhost> wrote:

> I've recently acquired a Synolgy DS-207, and had problems getting
> altboot to load the kernel - the same problems as the "Synology CS
> 407e: altboot fails to load installer" thread from the mail archive.

Oh no! So the SKnet problems with the 407e can no longer be seen as an
isolated case. Probably many Synology boxes are suffering from it, and
I was just lucky with my DS-101g+.

> Yes, PPCBoot seems to support TFTP booting.  However, mine sets its
> MAC address to 00:11:22:33:44:54 (and not the 00:11:32:01:95:49 that
> the chip has).

This is the default MAC, when no address is present in the ROM. But that's
perfectly normal.

Synology didn't put a ROM onto the board, but just wrote the MAC into
the Flash ROM. A driver will have to read it from there and set it.
Probably PPCBoot doesn't know how to do that.

In altboot it is done by read_mac_from_flash().

>   TFTP from server 192.168.13.100; our IP address is 192.168.13.118
>   Filename '/altboot_sk.bin'.
>   Load address: 0x100000
>   done
>   Bytes transferred = 76084 (12934 hex)
>
> But, this fails for me:
>
>   _MPC824X > go 100000 nfs:netbsd
>   ## Starting application at 0x00100000 ...
>
> Nothing more is printed.  If I use kermit to tranfer altboot.bin,
> then I can run altboot, but that fails to transmit any packets.

Hmm... either there is a bug in PPCBoot's network driver or PPCBoot
doesn't flush the cache after loading.

Or you are using the wrong load-address. Did you copy&paste from your
terminal? Then it is definitely wrong. The load-address has to be
0x1000000.

Otherwise I would inspect the memory after loading with PPCBoot's md command.
Maybe there was also a compare-command, so you could compare the data
loaded by Kermit.

> have tried it with both a 1Gbps and a 100Mbps link.  It reports the
> correct link speed both times (1000Mbps-FDX or 100Mbps-FDX) but
> always "xmit failed".  No packets are transmitted on the wire either:

Looks exactly like Oscar's 407e. Very frustrating. :|

--
Frank Wille