Re: How to add vi, ps, ... to ramdisk.fs.

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 10:08:41AM +0900, Boo Geum Jung wrote:
> ramdisk.fs seems to have limitied functionality.
> How to add "vi", "ps" and other usefull commad to ramdisk.fs?
> I tried to modify ramdiskbin.conf and list file on ramdisk directory.
> But it did not work.
> Additional steps are needed to add such commands?

What, specifically, did not work.  It usually helps to see the error
messages as well as the changes that you made.  There are probably
several errors that are easy to make here.

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 10:18:10AM +0900, Boo Geum Jung wrote:
> Without RB_SINGLE and LETS_GET_SMALL option, netbsd.INSTALL tried to
> getting in multi-user mode when exit command was typed.

Hmmm...  Without poking around, I don't know why you even got to a prompt
here or what it's trying to do when it just stops after the 'date: not
found' error.

Have you tried looking through /bin, /usr/bin, /sbin, /usr/sbin,
/usr/libexec, /usr/lib, /etc, & /dev, and then creating a ramdisk
large enough for all of that?  I don't know if that would work,
off-hand, but it would probably be easier than trying to get a
full multi-user setup from a stripped-down-for-install setup.
It might also help if you are building the system to build /bin
and /sbin (except for /sbin/init) as dynamically linked executables.
This will reduce the size of the binaries significantly.

You can experiment with the binary/library dependencies with a chroot
environment, or just use 'ldd'.

-allen

--
 Allen Briggs                     briggs%wasabisystems.com@localhost