Port-prep archive

Re: 43p: Install kernel boots, generic not

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 at 18:33, Ulrich Teichert <lists%ulrich-teichert.de@localhost> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> [deleted the reference to my old post from 2019 on this mailing list
> about the ~2MB limit of the firmware bootloader on the 43p]
> > Hello, I was re-reading this thread and found the data manuals for the
> > integrated SCSI controllers in at least two of the PReP machines.
> > 7248-(100,120,132) uses this one:
> > https://archive.org/details/
> > bitsavers_ncrsymbiosSCSIIOProcessorDataManualMay1993_9687379/page/n7/mode/
> > 1up
> > 7043-140 uses this one:
> > https://archive.org/details/bitsavers_ncrsymbiosaManualVersion3.0_1214361
>
> Thanks! That will give me two options how to get around that dreaded
> firmware limit:
>
> - get kloader working on prep
> - get the SCSI controller working in the existing NetBSD bootloader of prep
>
> I wanted to work on that when having my next vacation in July, anyone
> has an idea what might be the more appropiate method? I'm happy
> to accept advice, even if it's only gut feeling. I mean, there are more
> prep machines than just the 43p, so my first route would be kloader,
> because that way I wouldn't have to bother about the next controller
> driver in the bootloader....

Both are useful features, and having one does not preclude the
usefulness of the other....

If you had an unlimited well of time to dip into then the answer would
be both :-p

Back in the real world - given either would fix the immediate booting
issue I'd recommend starting with whichever you felt might be easiest
or most interesting, and not be concerned about switching to the other
if you hit any horrible blockers.

David