Port-prep archive

Re: 43p: Install kernel boots, generic not

[This mail was also posted to gmane.os.netbsd.ports.prep.]

On Sun, 14 Jul 2019 17:59:55 +0200 (CEST), Ulrich Teichert wrote:

Hi,

On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 06:48:04PM +0200, Ulrich Teichert wrote:
> I haven't seen a bootloader for prep in the NetBSD tree. Either
> yaboot (which does not work out of the box:
> https://www.netbsd.org/ports/macppc/faq.html#yaboot) or grub2 will be
> candidates, but I think I'll start with yaboot - it's just so much
> smaller.

but you quoted:

>> NetBSD/prep BOOT, Revision 1.9 (Sun Jul  7 15:18:27 UTC 2019)
so it has to exist ;-)

See src/sys/arch/prep/stand/README

Yes, right.... What I wanted to say was: I haven't seen a bootloader in
the NetBSD tree which can circumvent the firmware boot limit of ~2MB per
file loaded (at least on 43p boxes).

The experiments in the existing bootloader to access the SCSI controler
after load to bypass that limit were more or less causing the whole trip
into NetBSD-prep for me, as it turns out ;-)

Do you know if yaboot would be able to act as a secondary bootloader to
load a kernel > 2MB directly from a NetBSD partition? Or should I try
grub2? Fumbling with the SCSI controler in the bootloader without
hardware documentation will be a waste of time, as I've already found
out. I wasn't able to understand what interrupt/PCI/whatever setup was
missing to get this working.

CU,
Uli

Hello, I was re-reading this thread and found the data manuals for the integrated SCSI controllers in at least two of the PReP machines.
7248-(100,120,132) uses this one:
https://archive.org/details/
bitsavers_ncrsymbiosSCSIIOProcessorDataManualMay1993_9687379/page/n7/mode/
1up
7043-140 uses this one:
https://archive.org/details/bitsavers_ncrsymbiosaManualVersion3.0_1214361