Subject: RE: IBM 400
To: None <fultz@fermat.genomics.purdue.edu>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: port-prep
Date: 11/24/2000 23:21:57
Sorry I've been a bit slow replying.. I'm not subscribed to port-prep for silly
reasons.. please CC me at garbled@netbsd.org.

>> First.. I assume you have a serial port.  I have never tried to boot
>> prep with a local video.
>
>I've only used local video.  I have not yet tried serial console.
>
>> Try this kernel:
>> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/prep/snapshot/20000802/binary/kernel/boo
>> t_com0-GENERIC.fs
>
>I tried booting with this kernel and my machine did nothing.

It probably just looked like it did nothing..  The "com0" part is that it sends
all output to the attached serial port.  (com1)  Obviously, if you aren't
listening, you miss out.

The right way to do it.. is to hook up a standard PC NULL-MODEM cable to the
serial port 1 (com0) and to another machine.  On the other machine.. run any
serial communications program you want to (tip, cu, kermit, minicom, whatever).
The firmware menus are available via this comport as well.

>> Second..  I'm interested in what sort of firmware you have.  I'd like to see
>> a log of you going into the firmware, and attempting to boot the
>> floppy image.
>
>There is no OpenFirmware-like interface, as far as I know.  I can get
>into something that resembles a PC BIOS, and do some things in there,
>just like a PC.

Yeah.. thats what I'd like to see a log of.

The data you provided me in your last email is very useful.. Some additional
info however, would also help me out.

1) lsresource -a bus0

2) there is a program called "lspci"  available at:
ftp://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/pub/linux/pci/pciutils-2.1.8.tar.gz

Please compile this under AIX, and run it with the following options:

(assuming the "pci.ids" file that it comes with is in the current directory)

lspci -vvv -x -b -i pci.ids

And send me the output of both.  The latter utility runs a PCI scan, and tells
me which devices are located on your system.

As for compiling prep kernels there are some powerpc cross packages in
pkgsrc/cross that should get you started..

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>