Re: macppc vs evbppc binary packages

>> True, I've seen the same, especially with SMP.
>> Very recent -current seems to do a lot better though, my dual G4 is
>> still running 6.99.3 with both CPUs online and build.sh -j4 -
>> previously it would hang or panic under moderate IO load, even a build
>> on another machine with sources via nfs from the G4 would trigger it.
>>
>> So, my 2c:
>> try -current and see what happens.
>
> ...and then figure out which changes make things stable so we can pull
> them up for 6.0.  :)
>
> -wearing my releng hat,

Sounds like a good idea.  My machine is a Mac Mini G4, so no MP
issues to expect there.

I have some new information about my crash/hang, most of it bad,
I'm afraid.

My screen doesn't turn on, so when I plugged in my VGA cable, the
monitor refused to sync to the signal and reverted to the digital
input (connected to another source).  Also, OpenFirmware
apparently doesn't recognize Option-Command-O-F to enter OF, and
the VGA screen refuses to show anything even after power cycle :(

It appears that the network interface gets stuck -- when I
rebooted the machine the first time after returning back to the
office I got the 4-5 daily e-mails with warnings from mailer-
daemon about delayed delivery, so it appears that it did not
crash.  ddb.onpanic is also 0, so it should have rebooted if it
crashed/panic'ed...

Initially I thought this was the same problem I've seen on a
sparc64's gem0 interface, so I brought over a diff which
implements a workaround there, but "no".

I even brought the machine online with bwi0 (which is now
recognized and usable after I downloaded and installed the
firmware files), and while transferring a largish file (multi-GB)
either locally or with ftp.netbsd.org it still got stuck after a
relatively short while.

Next I'll make an attempt with a -current kernel, and we'll see
how that goes.

Regards,

- Håvard