macppc vs evbppc binary packages

We are trying to build packages on some evbppc systems (under
-6/current) and finding them a bit crashy under load.  So I am wondering
to what extent packages built on a macppc (that's from 2001 or so,
dual-core 500 Mhz G3) will run on an evbppc.   I would expect all the
instructions in the G3 to be present in the new chips (although I
understand the memory management architecture is different).   But, I
wonder if the ABI is somehow different.  I'd appreciate advice voting
for:

  yes, it ought to work

  maybe - worth trying

  you're doomed, don't bother