Re: Where do PowerQuicc Drivers belong?

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 23:59:11 -0700
Matt Thomas <matt%3am-software.com@localhost> wrote:

> I have the MPC8548 (e500) CDS running pretty well.

Goods news. Congratulations!

> The question that I've been trying to answer is
> where to put the drivers?  A number of places comes to mind
>
> sys/arch/powerpc/powerquicc
> sys/dev/powerquicc

My feeling would be that CPU-specific drivers belong to sys/arch/<cpuname>
and not into the MI sys/dev.

> I've also taken the sandpoint iic_eumb driver and split it intoa m
> motoi2c common part and then attachment code.  The 8548 uses the
> same component and sharing code is always preferrable.  I've put
> those sources in sys/dev/i2c.

Ok. I can adapt my sandpoint iic driver when you committed them, if
you don't want to do it.

> I have a etsec driver which supports most of it features like
> TCP/IP offload and jumbograms.  Given the ETSEC is an FEC on
> steroids it should be possible to make that for most of the
> ethernet embedded on Freescale/Motorola parts.

It is the same FEC as in a MPC5200B? Does the 8548 also need something
like "Bestcomm" for DMA?

Last year Robert Swindells released some mpc5200 sources, including an
FEC driver:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-ofppc/2009/07/18/msg000599.html

--
Frank Wille