Port-powerpc archive

Re: Problems boot netbsd after installation

On Jan 25, 2010, at 4:23 PM, kug1977 wrote:

I've the following problems to boot netbsd-GENERIC.gz or netbsd- GENERIC_MD.gz kernels on a Apple PowerBook G3 (pismo), 384 MD RAM, 30 GB HD.

I was able to install netbsd without any problems from NetBSD 5.0.1 and copy the both netbsd-GENERIC kernels to HFS boot-partition. Starting the kernel from OF isn't a problem, but than the kernel hangs.

First time after

fwohci0: BUS reset
fwohci0: node_id=0xc800ffc0,gen=1, CYCLEMASTER mode
resCount=4080 plen=20 len=-4
fwohci0: AR DMA status=8409, skip buffer done
ieee1394if0: 1 nodes, maxhop <= 0, Not found IRM capable mode
fwohci0: BUS reset
uhub0 at usb0: Apple Computer OHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1 uhub1 at usb0: Apple Computer OHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1

Sometimes it hangs after recognizing KBD and MICE but it never come to an end. Can anybody say, what's to do, please. I like to run the new NetBSD on this machine.

I vaguely remember trouble like this with the Firewire controllers used in G3 Powerbooks ( bus probe would take bloody ages or never finish ) - the INSTALL kernel works because it doesn't have firewire support built in. Unfortunately I don't have the hardware to investigate - the onboard firewire controllers used in G4 hardware work fine and so does the one on a PCI card in my beige G3 :/

You can disable the firewire driver by booting with -c ( as in boot <whatever>netbsd -c ) and then 'disable fwohci'.

This should at least get the kernel to boot.

have fun

Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (Darwin)