Re: s3 product

Hi! Tim,

From: Tim Rightnour <root%garbled.net@localhost>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 10:47:19 -0700 (MST)

> On 24-Nov-2008 KIYOHARA Takashi wrote:
> >> It is likely to be able to refer to this patch with ibmnws and prep.
> >> However, s3_drv.o did not support 'Vision 864' though I tried the support
> >> with s3 on my prep.  I am looking at the source-code of old X now.
> >
> > My prep machine attached 'S3 Vision 864' on main-board.
> > If the product of other S3 is attached(ex. Trio64), I might prepare Xserver
> > for that.  Does prep have VGA other than Vision 864?
>
> Good work on getting it running.  Thats awesome.
>
> My 7248 has an 864:
> vga0 at pci0 dev 14 function 0: S3 86C864-1 ("Vision864") (rev. 0x00)
>
> It looks like a 7249-860 (the little laptop) has a different card, but I don't
> own one of those:
> vga0 at pci0 dev 14 function 0: S3 Aurora64V+ (rev. 0x00)

hmm... Vision 864...

I have look at main-board just today.  I found the RAMDAC (S3 86C716 SDAC)
maybe.  Also I try to probe RAMDAC on my prep.  It failed, because don't
understand.

However, I have the possibility of understanding the method of using
vga_drv now.  When trying before, nothing was displayed on the screen
though xterm and xclock ran.  However, there is a possibility to be able
to solve now.  ;-)

> Additionally, other cards I typically see in prep machines:
>
> Weitek P9100 (VGA display) at pci0 dev 14 function 0 not configured
> Cirrus Logic CL-GD5434-8 (VGA display, revision 0x8e) at pci0 dev 18 function > 0
> not configured
>
> Also, I know of some machines that shipped with Matrox Millenium cards, so the
> matrox driver would be handy to have too.

I am looking for cirrus now though I am planning to make cirrus run with
bebox now.  However, matrox(mga_drv) has a very difficult possibility to
our regret.  Because xfree cannot solve quite a lot of those symbol in
submodule mga_drv.

Thanks,
--
kiyohara