Re: handling of firmware calls (Efika boots)

Aymeric Vincent wrote:

On 11.01.07 18:06:41 you wrote:

>> BTW, some days ago I did an NFS-boot on my Efika as well, but, IIRC,
>> there were problems creating and populating the /dev directory.
>
> It complained that /dev/console was missing,

Yes, exactly.

> but "./MAKEDEV all" on
> the host in the /etc directory of the Efika fixed it as usual.

Ok. I wasn't sure if MAKEDEV issued on a completely different host could work.

> Are you seeing other lossage?

Yes... my LAN-adapter ist dead! :(

Today, after reading your post, I wanted to run another test. And I found the
network on my Efika being dead. The LEDs don't flash anymore (tried several
cables). Booting a kernel is an infinite loop, with a slowly spinning cursor.

My Efika-acitivities seem to have ended. After only 4 weeks. :|

> My problem now is that the way the kernel interacts with the open
> firmware driver for the ethernet chip makes it extremely slow, and it
> eventually hangs after loading /sbin/init (waited for it a whole night).

Maybe running with a smaller packet size increases the chance to assemble
it from the received fragments. You could try
  options NFS_BOOT_RWSIZE=1024

So dropped UDP fragments are not a big problem anymore.

--
    _  Frank Wille (frank%phoenix.owl.de@localhost)
 _ //  http://sun.hasenbraten.de/~frank/