Re: handling of firmware calls (Efika boots)

Frank Wille <frank%phoenix.owl.de@localhost> writes:

> BTW, some days ago I did an NFS-boot on my Efika as well, but, IIRC, there
> were problems creating and populating the /dev directory.

It complained that /dev/console was missing, but "./MAKEDEV all" on
the host in the /etc directory of the Efika fixed it as usual.
Are you seeing other lossage?

My problem now is that the way the kernel interacts with the open
firmware driver for the ethernet chip makes it extremely slow, and it
eventually hangs after loading /sbin/init (waited for it a whole night).

> Would it make sense to create a powerpc/52xx directory, as with ibm4xx?
> There is no 5200-support at the moment, AFAICS.

I'm not sure yet what is best, choosing the right name would need some
culture of the forthcoming naming of chips from freescale... (I saw
Matt's comment) I didn't look at the doc deeply enough to know if the
way the registers are mapped make them very similar to pre-existing
(non SoC) chips.

In the same vein, would anyone have a strong view on where to put RTAS
support? It depends on open firmware only for bootstrapping so maybe
it's not a good idea to put it under dev/ofw/rtas/?

 Aymeric