Re: PMC strawman

At 08:44 PM 2/14/2003, Allen Briggs wrote:
On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 07:42:44PM -0800, Matt Thomas wrote:
> There would be a bit to note whether that blob has info.  I'd
> make the blob explicitly opaque to userspace.

Hmm...  Will that work with libpthread?  If you're doing a voluntary
thread switch, the kernel's not really involved in setting or restoring
the context.  Well, it is involved in restoring the context if you're
switching to a thread that was preempted.  Unless I'm missing something.

the ppc code has control of task switching so it can make sure the
right thing happens (by calling setcontext(2) if required).

> Of course it would conditional.  I'd also prefer to have
> separate contents for interrupt / non-interrupt code.

That would be nice.

> Right now the pmc counters are per proc, not lwp, which needs to be
> fixed.  I was thinking about creating a pmc context that a process
> could establish and share among it's children (or all of its threads).
> Make it refcnt'ed and on last reference, free it.

I like the idea.  How would you un/bind threads/procs from/to it?

By default you be bound.  pmc_configure_counter would be used to
force a new context (perhaps a flag in pcm_evid_t).  For now, you
can't bind it to it.  it must be inherited.

--
Matt Thomas               Internet:   matt%3am-software.com@localhost