Re: Bull (Motorola) Escala T604e

Jochen Kunz <jkunz%unixag-kl.fh-kl.de@localhost> writes:

> On 2002.10.15 23:10 Klaus Klein wrote:
>
> > and NetBSD/prep will currently choke without Residual Data.
> Residual Data???

The Residual Data area holds a description of the platform hardware
and is provided by the firmware; when transferring control, its
address is passed in r3.

Sections 5.4.1 and 5.6 of the PReP specification suggest that both
"conventional" firmware and OpenFirmware support this interface. In
practice, I have found it not supported on the PowerStack II, so using
the OFW seems quite attractive.

You can find the whole story at
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/rs6000/technology/spec/.

- Klaus