Re: PowerPC specific directory(Re: PowerMac types.h lossage)

Hi,

Sorry for being late on this :-(.

> Because NetBSD/macppc was merged,
> this is a good opportunity to do the following thing.
>
> 1. present sys/arch/powerpc directory is changed to sys/arch/ofppc
>    (ofwppc, and so on).
> 2. make PowerPC specific directory(sys/arch/powerpc or sys/cpu/powerpc)
>    as mips,m68k.
>
> Any thoughts?

Sigh.  The intention of sys/arch/powerpc was to serve as the root of all
powerpc based ports.  This was especially so, because in those days it looked
like eventually all powerpc based machines would have OpenFirmware based
boot code.  Code specific to some machine would have been placed in
sys/arch/powerpc/abc for machine "abc".

Now obviously this expectation didn't work out :-(.  However, I'd still
have preferred sys/arch/powerpc/ofppc (and probably sys/arch/powerpc/macppc
etc.) instead of sys/arch/ofppc, just like it is in sys/arch/arm32, i.e.
sys/arch/arm32/{riscpc,shark} etc.

Actually, I think I'd still be even more in favor of a separate sys/cpu
directory hierarchy.  I.e. have sys/cpu/{arm32,m68k,powerpc,sparc} etc. with
cpu specific code, and have sys/arch/{bebox,mac68k,macppc,riscpc} etc.
and maybe/probably sys/arch/ofppc (would have still been sys/arch/powerpc,
if the original expectation would have worked) with the machine specific
stuff in it.

Wouldn't it make sense to start such separation now that we have already
three cpus that have their own directories independent from specific machines
in the tree?

Ciao,
Wolfgang
--