Re: Boot code of linuxppc v. netbsd

On Tue, Jan 06, 1998 at 09:30:20PM -0400, Dan Jacobowitz wrote:
> Not quite true - the coffboot does no loading from disk, but only copies it
> from wherever the XCOFF loader decides to put it to the address KERNELBASE
> (0xc0000000 or 0x90000000 on different PPCs).
>

> I'm trying to build a new version with only those sections... any idea on
> how to get rid of the .comment section?  The linux ld.script nicely packed
> all the others into what I think are reasonable places but didn't touch
> .comment; I assume it's a compile option to gcc somewhere....

i have compiled a few OpenBSD ppc kernels a few months back that load to
0xc0000000 or 0x90000000. i believe that i used objcopy to copy the sections
that i wanted into a xcoff file, and played with the ld.script too.

i didn't have any luck getting the firmware to load the kernels. i think that
it would be easier to use linux's booter instead of ofwboot since it could read
the powermac partition tables (and ext2), and that it works. i was doing some
work from powermac linux, hence the ext2.

i don't have access to my powermac linux box right now, so it'll be a few
weeks before i could play iwth this again.