Re: PowerMacintosh, anyone?

(yes, this is a second reply to the same message)

On Mon, 8 Dec 1997, era eriksson wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Dec 1997 17:57:44 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time),
> Peter Abrahamsen <p1rabbit%halcyon.com@localhost> wrote:
>  > On Sat, 6 Dec 1997, bigj wrote:
>  >> I'll be interested in seeing one being done, but the linux port is doing
>  >> so well that it'll be hard to get people to move from it.  I also think
>  >   I am not completely pessimistic; it just seems a little pointless with
>  > such a big project (actually, two big projects) already going...
>
> I think there are more people than Bill S. and me who are already
> running NetBSD-mac68k and would like to have the same environment on
> PowerMacs, too. The NetBSD concept seems more likely to be able to
> move to new platforms in the future as they appear; I'm frankly a bit
> surprised this particular project doesn't seem to be moving very much.

I think the problem is that no one has made the key first step, ontop of
which others can build. I know folks have tried. Charles tried booting on
a 7300, and whenever he'd open the ethernet driver, it'd try to open a
tftp session! Apple's OpenFirmware's weird.

Now that we (or is it just port-Bebox?) have an interrupt model, I think
we could make some progress. :-)

I, though, need to finish my Ph.D. first. :-(

Take care,

Bill