Re: mailing lists, was PowerMacintosh, anyone?

On Mon, 8 Dec 1997, era eriksson wrote:

> ; I'm frankly a bit
> surprised this particular project doesn't seem to be moving very much.
> (Blame some of it on the spam problems of this list. I contacted
> netbsd.org to get them to filter out anything that comes in gated from
> Usenet, but they were not very interested. I'm under the impression
> that other NetBSD lists are subscriber-only, does anybody have any
> insights? Either on what the other lists are doing or on how one could
> get muc.* -- whatever that is -- to set up their Usenet gate of the
> list as moderated, or whatever.)

No, the other lists are not subscriber-only. Just port-powerpc (and
tech-toolchain, I think) is mirrored onto a Usenet group which is on a
site spammers love to troll for targets.

The reason for the lack of desire to close the lists is we ofted get a LOT
of legitemate messages from folks using Usenet. I'm not saying this is
what we should do, just what I've heard as an explanation.

Take care,

Bill