Port-powerpc archive

Re: executable formats in port-powerpc

Sorry for the delay in answering this.

> Which executable format is being used in port-powerpc?  (ELF, a.out, coff,
> etc?)  Which version of gcc are you using, and what 'configure' line did you
> use to build it?  (I'm building with --target=powerpc--elf right
> now, but I'd like to know what actually works...)

Currently NetBSD/powerpc uses a.out format for nearly everything.  The only
exception is the boot-code that is in ELF format with a special note-section
to conform to the format that PReP and PPCP mandate for booting.

To allow the generation of the proper gcc, I've made the diffs for gcc
available in ftp://ftp.NetBSD.ORG/pub/NetBSD/arch/powerpc/gcc/gcc.diffs.gz.
You'll have to configure --target=powerpc-aout-netbsd after applying these

Note that this is only the compiler.  Proper binutils are needed in addition
to that to make a cross development environment.  I'm using a specially hacked
version of the NetBSD assembler and linker, so that isn't easy to make available
to others for cross-compilation.  So sorry :-(, currently you are on your own
on that.
ws%TooLs.DE@localhost     (Wolfgang Solfrank, TooLs GmbH)       +49-228-985800