Port-playstation2 archive

Re: My todo

Hey Ed,

The reason NetBSD doesn't support the memory cards (yet) is because the
driver shipped with Linux isn't a real default 'filesystem on top of a
block device' setup. I looked in the source some time ago (trying to
patch the latest 2.4), but it seems that the 'ps2mc' and 'ps2mcfs'
drivers are mangled together. I guess the real Playstation 2 Memory Card
Filesystem code is handled by the Playstation 2 Linux Runtime
Environment (not sure though).

And I guess the Playstation 2 Linux Runtime Environment's source isn't
available, is it ?

- Port Linux 2.4.31 to the Sony Playstation 2
- Patch a recent toolchain to support the Sony Playstation 2
- Build a Linux From Scratch install

Wow, that already represents much work :)

- Patch the native NetBSD toolchain to support the Sony Playstation 2

I'm still a newbie to NetBSD : what do you mean by "native toolchain" ? I used
the toolchain to build a NetBSD/playstation2 system from an i386 machine, and
it worked (I precise I had to edit some code from /usr/pkgsrc/cross/mips* in
order to compile).

- Improve some NetBSD drivers if possible
- Port Linux 2.6 to the Sony Playstation 2

Well, I hope there are any guys out there who are planning the same as
me. I could really use some help (I'm just an IT student).

Well, I'd like to help but I have no experience about programming for an
Unix-like system (drivers...)

Yours,

tastalian

Quoting Ed Schouten <ed%fxq.nl@localhost>:

Hey Naopic,

* Naopic Tastalian <tastalian%free.fr@localhost> wrote:
I recently bought a Linux Kit for my PS2 in order to install NetBSD on
it. First of all, I was surprised to see that only a snapshot for an
old NetBSD-1.5ZC was available online, and as it didn't work very well
I decided to compile a new release from NetBSD-2.0 branch.

As I'm mostly a newbie to NetBSD it took me a day, but I managed to
make it and put it on my local FTP server. Installation worked and,
apart from a few problems, I can boot and use my system. So, I'd like
to propose you a tarball of my releasedir, as it might help others to
install a more recent version of the system.

Wow, that's great to hear that the port still works (I still need to
find myself a Sync-on-Green capable display, so I still have to use
Linux for the time being).

And, it's not *really* a problem, but as NetBSD can't read or write
Playstation 2 Memory Cards I'd like to make a dualboot "Linux/NetBSD"
on the machine ; but it's not possible as NetBSD's installation seems
to erase my MBR.

The reason NetBSD doesn't support the memory cards (yet) is because the
driver shipped with Linux isn't a real default 'filesystem on top of a
block device' setup. I looked in the source some time ago (trying to
patch the latest 2.4), but it seems that the 'ps2mc' and 'ps2mcfs'
drivers are mangled together. I guess the real Playstation 2 Memory Card
Filesystem code is handled by the Playstation 2 Linux Runtime
Environment (not sure though).

That dual-booting isn't supported is also stated on the website. I guess
I'll look into it if I'll ever find a Sync-on-Green display. My current
todo for Playstation 2 Linux/BSD is:

--

http://tastalian.free.fr/