Current port status

Unfortunately the status of the ofppc port had become constantly worse
over the last year and it is time to address the most important issues
for 6.0.

Maybe others can write something about the status of the IBM 7044/7046
ports, as I can only speak for the Pegasos 2 here.

New issues for components that worked before:

- (since 5.99.61) Problems after some major changes in the uvm/kmem/malloc
  code. The worst problem had been resolved (matt) but it still cannot mount
  the root file system anymore (/dev/console not found) and crashes.

- (since 5.99.60) genfb(4) has wrong colors. Now it display pink kernel
  messages on a black background, while it was green on white before.
  The normal output is probably black on black now, and unreadable.
  The config files had not been changed.

- (since 5.99.56) The disklabel on MBR partitioned disks is no longer
  correctly recognized. This is probably my fault. Will be fixed as soon
  as possible.

- (since ~5.99.55) Firefox has become unstable. It crashes frequently.
  Tabs and the scrolling wheel stop working. Problem can also be observed
  on macppc. Caused by switching gcc to 4.5.3 last summer?

- (since ~5.99.52) Problems with XOrg's mouse pointer acceleration make
  the pointer jump to the left or right screen border, and the only way
  to get it away from there is by typing "xset m 0". Also on macppc.

- (since ~5.99.41) The kernel hangs when detecting an USB device on the
  port (corrupted usb fragments). There is a workaround for it by setting
  the option USB_FRAG_DMA_WORKAROUND.

Old issues (new drivers, that never worked better):

- radeonfb(4) prefers to use the VGA output, although the monitor is
  connected to the DVI output. At least this happens with my 9200SE.

- mvgbe(4) is unusable slow.

--
Frank Wille