re: pegasosII crash at boot with -current

> Matthew Green wrote:
>
> > i finally got around to trying my pegasosII with -current and it fails
> > to boot.
>
> How current is your current? Mine is 6 days old, and a generic ofppc kernel
> boots on my Pegasos2/G3 with 512MB.

it was only a couple of hours old at that point.  i tried with both 1GB
and 512MB installed, and also by disabling the hack to find all the memory
that the prom didn't tell us about.  same problem.

> >  i get this:

> It probably isn't important, but the recent revision is 1.11.

i'll try updating this.

> Did you boot the kernel from disk or over the net (100MBit or GBit-port?)?

both.  didn't matter.

> > anyone have any ideas what is up?
>
> Not really. The only difference between our systems is that you have a G4
> and I have a G3.
>
> It worked for you in the past?

i haven't booted this system since april 2008, but yeah, it very much
worked in the past, and the old install works (netboot or disk boot.)

> Did you already test a kernel after the switch from pegasospci to gtpci?

nope.

> Since the last months I get kernel panics when an USB device is plugged in.
> I don't know if there was a modification in some USB code or whether it is
> caused by a problem with gtpci:
>
> 0xa9f26bd0: at panic+0x25c
> 0xa9f26c20: at trap+0x128
> 0xa9f26cb0: kernel DSI read trap @ 0xba938101 by usb_allocmem+0xb0:
> srr1=0x9032
>             r1=0xa9f26d70 cr=0x84000088 xer=0 ctr=0x3fe620 dsisr=0x40000000
> 0xa9f26d70: at usbd_do_request_flags_pipe+0xe8
> 0xa9f26da0: at uhci_open+0x5f4
> 0xa9f26de0: at usbd_setup_pipe+0xbc
> 0xa9f26e10: at usbd_new_device+0x480
> 0xa9f26eb0: at uhub_explore+0x1f4
> 0xa9f26f00: at usb_discover+0x60
> 0xa9f26f20: at usb_event_thread+0x38
> 0xa9f26f40: at emptyidlespin+0x10
>
> Kiyohara-san wanted to have a look at it... ;)

i've seen panics like this on my netbsd-5 amd64 desktop.  my netbsd-5
tree has extra instrumentation around the code here, it shows that
an alloc fails, and then the code goes bad.. but i haven't figured out
much more than this about it yet.

thanks.

.mrg.