Re: SmartFirmware /memory (was: Pegasos dmesg)

Tim Rightnour wrote:

>> Another crazy experiment was to use the release() method of /memory, to
>> add the region 0x10000000-0x20000000 to the "available" property. But
>> again the kernel crashes when accessing it.
>
> Oh.. what if you ran that, got it added to available, and then batmapped
> that whole chunk of ram VA==PA.

The battable[] already contains a valid VA==PA entry for 0x10000000. This is
done automatically by oea_batinit(), which calls mem_regions() and takes it
from the "reg" property of "/memory".

So it doesn't help. System crash on the first OF-call, when adding the
region to "available".

> That, or run through it with pmap_enter to
> add it all to the page table?

Honestly I don't know where to do that. Would it make any difference?

I talked with two MorphOS team members in the last days, and they completely
ignore the (broken) "available" property. As a workaround they don't even
instantiate RTAS, but call it at a fixed address!

--
    _  Frank Wille (frank%phoenix.owl.de@localhost)
 _ //  http://sun.hasenbraten.de/~frank/