Re: Pegasos and viaide interrupts

Frank Wille wrote:
Matt Sealey wrote:

Digging a bit deeper in the viaide driver showed me that it depends on
the
PCI_INTERFACE register, whether we are in native or compatible mode.
Looking
at this register showed me the value 0x8f, which means native mode for
both
channels (bit 0 and 2).
[...]
I'm afraid you will have to taint yourself with GPL code and look at the
Pegasos platform fix in the latest kernels for the Via IDE stuff.

I have downloaded the latest Linux sources a few days ago, and it looked to
me as if they just hardcoded interrupt 14 and 15 for Pegasos, and driving it
in compatible (legacy) mode. MorphOS is doing the same, BTW.

I should clarify; it's not mainlined yet but it is floating around and
should be submitted for .24 or .25.

Prepare to be tainted by the GPL:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=167747

You need
to do a little tweak or two to get it to work in native mode properly.

So it is meant to work in native mode? That's interesting! Any pointer to the
information we are missing?

It does work in native mode, but it's not set up that way.

With the small patch above, the class-code is modified such that it reports
that it's in native mode. I'm not even sure if this is right anymore.. every
time I look at it I wonder what the hell is wrong with Via IDE chips and
all the discussions I had with Jeff, Alan and Tejun about it..

The patch above, to me, can't work since the interrupt 15 is taken out of
the properties. The comment, therefore, is a load of bullshit :)

Ah I dunno. Who knows anymore. At some point someone reworked a patch I
was working on, and it allowed libata pata_via to work on Pegasos without
too much hassle.

Remember the OF device tree is broken and reports the wrong interrupts

Hm. My firmware (1.2) does not report any interrupts at all.

Linux also re-reads the PCI interrupt line from each PCI device when it
boots (firmware can not be trusted it seems :)

--
Matt Sealey <matt%genesi-usa.com@localhost>
Genesi, Manager, Developer Relations