Re: RTAS

Frank Wille <frank%phoenix.owl.de@localhost> writes:

> Hm, BTW, how do you use it? I saw there are no external functions defined.
> Via the global rtas0_softc pointer?

That's something I didn't address, and for now it is not usable by the
outside world. That's why it only supports RTC handling.

I would think that defining functions and calling them #if NRTAS > 0
is a way to go. See NAPMBIOS in arch/i386/i386 for example ; I think
that, from this point of view, apm/acpi and rtas have much in common.

> It attaches to the ofw-bus (ofbus). Maybe it should better attach to
> mainbus?

In general, certainly other drivers could attach elsewhere, but RTAS
in my humble opinion belongs below ofwbus because it's part (or an
extension) of the CHRP and it needs a call to the openfirmware to
instanciate itself.

> What I'm asking myself for a long time: do we need the ofw-bus at all,
> when it is our goal to run the ofppc-port with real NetBSD drivers rather than
> using the OFW-devices?

Why not, but then we need a way to "claim" a device from the tree
because two drivers from two different parts of the device tree may
then claim the same device.

Regards,
 Aymeric