Port-news68k archive

Re: rootfs goes full during installation of 5.0.1 on NWS-1460

> > - boot the following disk image for your 1.2GB disk
> > ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/tsutsui/news68k/news68k-5.0.1.img.gz
> Thank you for the disk image. I dd'ed the image, but the machine didn't boot.
> To further investigate the problem, I made a small(8KB) test pattern image and
> tested writing and reading it back from the harddrive.
> The data that are read from the drive were all-0's or just pile of random
> bytes.
>
> I replaced the cable and reseated all the chips that are mounted on socket,
> but
> the situation didn't change. What is strange is that the controller identifies
> the drive correctly, which means only DMA transfers are affected?

Umm, I'm afraid so because DMA is used only for >128 bytes xfers.
(defined as MIN_DMA_LEN in sys/arch/news68k/dev/si.c)

If you can rebuild a kernel on other host, you can disable
SCSI DMA as mentioned in sys/arch/news68k/conf/GENERIC:
---
# For example: "flags 0x1000f" would disable DMA interrupts,
# and disable disconnect/reselect for targets 0-3
#
si0     at hb0 addr 0xe0cc0000 ipl 4 flags 0x0
---

> Anyways, thanks for your help! I'll keep the machine so I can repair it when I
> feel like!

Ok, thanks.

If you have some spare time, I'd like to see how NetBSD 4.0.1 goes
on the same machine..
---
Izumi Tsutsui