Port-mipsco archive

Re: RC3330 inappropriate byte order

On Sat, 30 Nov 2002, DaBar0nZ s0nik42 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have some problems with port-mipsco kernels, when i tried to netboot my
> rc3330 from a indy with :
> ------
>
> /snapshot/20000821/netbsd
> it works
>
> but with :
> -----------
>
> /snapshot/20001004/binary/kernel/install.gz
> /snapshot/20001004/binary/kernel/netbsd.GENERIC.gz
> /snapshot/20010523/binary/kernel/install.gz
> /snapshot/20010523/binary/kernel/netbsd.GENERIC.gz

These are all ELF format kernels, intended to be booted using the 2 stage
NetBSD Bootloader which can lift this kernel off the root filesytem.
Unfortunately the firmware won't boot ELF kernels (unlike some SGI machines)

You can use elf2ecoff on a running NetBSD Mips based platform (mipsco,
sgimips etc), or use the nbmips-elf2ecoff if you build a toolchain for any
mips based target.
Once you have converted the file to ECOFF format, you will be able to
network boot it.

> >>setenv bootfile bootp()netbsd.GENERIC
> >>boot
> Setting $netaddr to 172.16.2.8 (from server 172.16.1.2)
> Obtaining netbsd.GENERIC from server 172.16.1.2
> bootp()netbsd.GENERIC: inappropriate byte order
> couldn't load bootp()netbsd.GENERIC
>
> I have te same problems with kernels extracted from diskimage.gz
>
> What I did wrong with gziped kernels ?
>
> For people who don't have a RiscOS partition, is there an issue by putting
> the kernel directly in the vh ?

You can do that, but I doubt whether this is enough space for a full
kernel, you need to install the 2 stage bootloader instead.

PS.  Sounds like it's time to build a new snapshot.  I need to integrate
installboot into the toolchain version (so it will cross compile) which
would allow an installkernel to be built again....

--
Wayne Knowles                   NetBSD/mipsco port maintainer
wdk%netbsd.org@localhost                        http://www.netbsd.org