Port-mipsco archive

Re: Magnum hardware questions

Wayne Knowles <wdk%NetBSD.ORG@localhost> writes:

> At some stage you will need to replace the MK48T02.  This can be a tricky
> procedure.   The area used for the Ethernet MAC address etc is write
> protected by hardware by default.  I have not found any way to overcome
> this restriction so you will need to do a transplant in another machine.

Bummer. I have a SS1+ that's not doing anything else that would be
great for the purpose, though, and two or three timekeeper chips.

> The procedure for doing this on a sun can be found in the port-mips
> archive:
>
>   http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-mips/2000/07/30/0002.html
>
> I will transfer this to the FAQ section shortly.  There is also some more
> info I wish to add.

I saw that. It'd be nice to know what the other bytes in that sequence
are. Also, the boot messages indicated an invalid checksum; it would
be nice to know how to generate a correct checksum for a different MAC
address.

> > Anyway, I have it booting RiscOS, so it's in better condition than it
> > first appeared. I guess I'll try firing up NetBSD on it soon.
>
> If don't know what the root password is, the following procedure boots
> RISC/os into single user:
>
>   boot dksd()unix initarg=s

Oh, cool. The first time I booted it dropped into single-user mode
after failing to find a no-longer-existent external disk. I fixed that
and then changed the root password, but now it wedges somewhere later
in the boot sequence instead of dropping back to a root shell.

        - Nathan