Re: current issues on Octeon (ER-4)

On Wed, 05 Jul 2023 23:04:55 -0400
"David H. Gutteridge" <david%gutteridge.ca@localhost> wrote:

[...]
> Sorry for the delayed response. I've acquired an ERLite-3, but haven't
> had time to do anything with it yet. I was curious: I read your
> earlier post, and see you'd modified yours to add a fan, did you find
> that was generally necessary?

Hello Dave.

It is difficult to remember exactly, but most likely the device felt
too hot when the CPU was 100% busy compiling code for hours (which is
not the intended use, but that's how I used it).  Because I had a spare
fan, tools and time, for the peace of mind I fitted a fan via a
step-down DC converter, and eventually made sure all my other
single-board computers have at least one fan.  It was not necessary at
the time, but much later outdoor temperature unexpectedly went from
20degC to 40degC, and despite no air conditioning there was no problem.

--
    Denis Ovsienko