Re: DECstation 5000/200 timekeeping

>> Until I determined that the cable I had was bad, I suspected mine
>> might have broken Ethernet.  I'm glad that was not the case; I did
>> set it up with SLIP on ttyD2, but the 5000/200 has dz serial ports,
>> which can't do faster than 19200, so it was s-l-o-w.
> Oh, 5000/200 hardware does do 38400bps.  The rates of 19200bps and
> 38400bps are produced with an external baud generator and are
> globally switchable, so the only limitation is you can't have
> 19200bps and 38400bps both at a time [...]

Well, the dz driver I have doesn't know that; its baudrate table just
lists 16 speeds from 50 to 19200.  And selecting the last of them does
indeed produce something close to 19200, or it wouldn't've worked when
connected to the other machine.

> Should onboard network interface break you can add a TURBOchannel
> option, or go for FDDI at 100Mbps even.

Hm, not sure whether I have _any_ turbochannel cards, nor for that
matter whether I have any FDDI interfaces for any of my other machines.

Fortunately, neither is needed at the moment.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign