re: Latest mips/evbmips observations

[ mostly replying to GCC or X11 specific things ]

> So, to complicate matters, I've been building with HAVE_GCC=48.  The
> kernel boots.  Userland mostly works.  Mostly same problems from before,
> a few new wrinkles...

i've tested o32 and n32 a little bit with GCC 4.8.  it seems to
work at least as poorly as GCC 4.5 for me.

if you see specific GCC 4.8 regressions vs. 4.5, please file PRs
about each issue, so we can at least investigate them from the
compiler POV.

> Changed behavior:
>
> > X server:  the undefined symbol issues seem to have been resolved, but
> > now the server complains that it can't load the "int10" module, saying
>
> Once again failing due to an undefined symbol.  Side effect of gcc48?

you probably don't want "int10" on non-x86, IIRC?

> (==) Using default built-in configuration (12 lines)
> (EE) Failed to load /usr/X11R7/lib/modules/drivers/siliconmotion_drv.so:
> /usr/X11R7/lib/modules/drivers/siliconmotion_drv.so: Undefined symbol
> "exaOffscreenF
> ree" (symnum = 101)
> (EE) Failed to load module "siliconmotion" (loader failed, 7)
> (EE) No drivers available.

interesting; this symbol shouild be provided by the Xorg server itself.

Mac, this reminds me of a PPC issue we've seen?

> 'etcupdate' seems to be ignoring the "-a" and "-l" options, requiring
> user action on files with no local modifications and files changed, but
> with the same RCS IDs as the baseline files from the {,x}etc.tgz sets.
>
> 'etcupdate' mangles the invocation of 'postinstall' at the end, somehow
> failing to pass it the "-s" switch before the source archives.
> 'postinstall' then complains about "unknown action 'etc.tgz'" and prints
> its usage message.  Manual invocation of 'postinstall' succeeds.
>
> Pretty sure these are related to gcc48 weirdness as I don't recall it
> happening before I started compiling with HAVE_GCC=48.

that seems strange.  i don't tend to use etcupdate (just postinstall),
can you confirm they're GCC 4.8 specific?

thanks,

.mrg.