Re: install on PowerBook - no root partition defined

Hi,

Martin Husemann wrote:

> I think there were bugs - try to manually mount wd0a on /targetroot,
> then unmount it, and then try the reinstall step.

That was the trick. Mount and unmount on -targetroot.
/etc/fstab needs to be present (it is checked for). Just write this
because someone privatey suggested me that it is not needed.

> I dimly recall it looks for the "last mounted on" information and expects
> "/" (which would be the case if you are actually upgrading or had booted
> that setup already), but also accepts /targetroot (which is where the
> installer would mount it temporarily while extracting the sets).

Yes.. apparenty that is. I can't check for /, but /targetroot works.
The INSTALL document [1] guies you usint /mnt. Probably just using
/targetroot in the steps would save the headache.

> Yes, you probably will need that (or a separate disk, which also may be
> a SD card in a converter).
Since the PowerBook has no other SD or disk slots, except the CD-ROM
drive, I need one.

The nuisance is that it cannot be formatted from within NetBSD as FAT
nor HFS.

So I was able to complete the install, but still need to make the laptop
bootable.

Riccardo

[1]
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-9.3/macppc/INSTALL.html#Setting
up Open Firmware 3 to boot NetBSD