Re: Netbooting mac mini g4

Hello,

On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 15:14:15 -0400
christos%zoulas.com@localhost (Christos Zoulas) wrote:

> | > In the process I discovered that the radeon driver is broken (I think
> | > we should remove it from generic until it is fixed; it is bad to
> | > supply a generic that does not work)
> |
> | That's why it's removed in -8. It's in -current to catch issues like
> | that, we found and fixed a few others lately.
>
> Is it though? I tried both and 8 kernel and a 7 kernel and they did not
> boot?

I requested a pullup to -8 commenting it out in all GENERIC and INSTALL
kernels months ago.

> | Is that a 1st generation Mini? As in PowerMac10,1?
>
> I sent the dmesg in the mail.

They're almost identical, from the CPU clock I can only guess it's a
1st generation Mini.

> | What type of connection do you use - DVI or VGA-with-adaptor?
>
> DVI->HDMI->VGA

So the Mini outputs digital video and the HDMI-VGA adaptor does the
analog conversion I assume? Any chance you can try with a DVI-VGA
adaptor?

> | I fixed it for 2nd generation Minis but things are wired slightly
> | different there and I suspect it's not handled correctly by Xorg either.
> | VGA /should/ work, but I can't find the correct wiring for DVI on 1st
> | generation Minis without the hardware.
>
> Thanks, is there any way I can help? How do we debug this?

Assuming you can boot a -current kernel far enough to ssh into the
machine:
Please boot a -current kernel with radeonfb and options RADEONFB_DEBUG,
this will dump a whole lot of register values into dmesg. Please send me that.
This should at least tell me how OF sets up the outputs, and hopefully
point out what radeonfb does wrong.

That said, I've been running -current on my Mini 2 for ages, if there
are new troubles I'd like to know.

have fun
Michael