Re: ofwboot.xcf problem (port-macppc/44895)

On Fri, Jun 02, 2017 at 21:08:24 +0200, Havard Eidnes wrote:

> >> The workaround is already in -6 and -7 and it's called ofwboot.elf :)
>
> Well, the installation notes say
>
>   Note:
>   ofwboot.elf is obsoleted.  All users should be using ofwboot.xcf
>   instead of ofwboot.elf now.
>
> and there's no other mention of ofwboot.elf.  If that note is no
> longer true, the documentation should be updated.

Do we have a portmaster that is not AWOL? :)

> I sort-of knew there was an ofwboot.elf, but I was (and am) unsure of
> when it can or should be used.

ofwboot.xcf and ofwboot.elf are essentially the same code.  We first
build an ELF file (but NB: not ofwboot.elf) and then convert it to
XCOFF.  The only difference of the ELF file from normal ofwboot.elf is
that we provide an "indirect" entry point (see Xcoffxtra.c) that XCOFF
requires.  But for my experiments I built ofwboot.elf and ofwboot.xcf
that were identical content-wise (xcoff uses _entry indirection, elf
has _entry indirection but uses _start directly).

> stability to my G4 Mac Minis (which, admittedly, can wedge every now
> and then while doing pkgsrc bulk builds)?

The context switch vs. FPU issue has been fixed a while ago.  It's
been pulled up to -6:

  http://releng.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/req-6.cgi?show=1310

chs@ fixed the mutex issue in late February.  It's been pulled up to
-7 but not -6, I think.  See

  http://gnats.netbsd.org/44387

So you might want to try to apply that change to -6 and see if that
helps stability.

-uwe