questions and report on setting up UMAX Apus 2000 boxes

Hi,

I've got several UMAX Apus 2000 boxes (Apple clones with a PowerPC processor), exact model : 603e/200, not a C500, at last. This message has two parts. The first part has some questions, the second is some kind of report no how I brought a few of this boxes back to file again.

*** Questions ***

1) How come I am (sometimes... if I don't get a DEFAULT CATCH) able to boot scsi/sd@3:0 while I cannot see that device in the device list?

0 > devalias
pci1                /bandit@F2000000
fd                  /bandit/ohare/swim3
kbd                 /bandit/ohare/via-cuda/adb/keyboard
mouse               /bandit/ohare/via-cuda/adb/mouse
ttya                /bandit/ohare/escc/ch-a
ttyb                /bandit/ohare/escc/ch-b
scsi                /bandit/ohare/mesh
scsi-int            /bandit/ohare/mesh
ata                 /bandit/ohare/ATA
ata-int             /bandit/ohare/ATA
screen              /valkyrie
 ok

0 > dev scsi  ok
0 > ls
FF833EB0: /sd@0,0
FF834A38: /st@0,0
 ok

2) Most of my Apus boxes have a dead nvram battery, I need to reenter the special settings at each poweron or power cable plug. The nvram/battery is a RAYONAC Computer Clock Battery 840 4.5 Volts ALKALINE. Are there any successful reports on building a custom battery with standard Alkaline batteries, or are these batteries still available some place? The nvram/battery is some kind of a little monster, but the PINs are pretty standard, just like PC Speaker PINs.

3) Is cmd-alt-n-v supposed to work? This is the right command to initialize the nvram, even further than a set-defaults would do, right? What about cmd-alt-p-r I've seen somewhere, what does it do?

4-5) Some of those boxes I have don't work correctly. Beside the damn DEFAULT CATCH issue I am talking about in the next part of this message, I've got:
- jason which has no network interface
- musset which always gets a kernel trap
- salomon which has no network interface
- worst of all, lucrece that didn't even get the GONG sound at power-on. We cleaned-it up here at the lab and it finally GONGs again but NOTHING SHOWS UP on the serial console... Such a pitty!

I should clean the PCI slots with F2 spray and/or change the network cards for those with the network issue.

For the kernel trap, I don't really know what to do with it. I doubt it is a netbsd bug since I've got no such troubles on the six other machines,
NetBSD 6.1 (INSTALL)
total memory = 81920 KB
avail memory = 72992 KB
found ohare PIC at f3000000
bootpath: scsi/sd@3/NETBSD.MACPPC
mainbus0 (root)
cpu0 at mainbus0: 603ev (Revision 2.1), ID 0 (primary)
cpu0: HID0 0x90c001<DOZE,DPM,ICE,DCE,NOPTI>, powersave: 1
cpu0: ohare L2 cache enabled
bandit0 at mainbus0
pci0 at bandit0 bus 0
pchb0 at pci0 dev 11 function 0
pchb0: vendor 0x106b product 0x0001 (rev. 0x03)
ex0 at pci0 dev 14 function 0: 3Com 3c905B-TX 10/100 Ethernet (rev. 0x30)
ex0: interrupting at irq 25
trap: pid 0.1 (system): kernel MCHK trap @ 0x101570 (SRR1=0x41030)
panic: trap
rebooting
I can only guess it's a hardware issue -- any idea what I should look into on the musset box?

Finally about the lucrece box which doesn't show anything on the console, any hints on how to deal with it?

*** Report on how I got netbsd up and running on the few other boxes that had less hardware issues ***
Connect with serial baud rate 38400.

Use that keyboard keys combination to get to the Open Firmware,
        cmd-alt-o-f

Those UMAX Apus boxes have a version 2.0 Open Firmware.

I configured the firmware with the defaults but auto-boot?, kind of sparcish way do deal with it,
        set-defaults
        setenv auto-boot? false
        reset-all

I did the setenv load-base 600000 and setenv real-base F00000 but it doesn't seem to be mandatory for NetBSD to work.

Most of the time, using the internal CD player, I get this when trying to boot,
0 > boot scsi/sd@3:0 DEFAULT CATCH!, code=FFF00300 at   %SRR0: FF80AC9C
  %SRR1: 0000B070
and it hangs...  I need to reboot (ctrl-command-<that fat button on the
upper right corner of the keyboard which looks like backspace>). I got some internal CDs to work but most of them don't and I got like 90% DEFAULT CATCHes for one good run. So I used an external SCSI CD player with ID 6,
        boot scsi/sd@6:0 netbsd.macppc

Sometimes it was also asking for the file, so I had to provide an argument or an answer to the boot loader: "netbsd.macppc".

Some older references on those UMAX boxes on this list.

Subject: Re: UMAX C500 weirdness
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2007/05/09/0002.html
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2007/05/11/0003.html
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2007/05/17/0005.html
which refers to an even older thread from someone else in 2003,
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2003/02/19/0000.html
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2003/02/19/0004.html
note that even if my issue was similar, mine are not C500 in the end, but Apus 2000.

Subject: openfirmware hardware reset ?
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2007/05/17/0006.html
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2007/05/17/0007.html
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2007/05/17/0008.html