Port-macppc archive

questions and report on setting up UMAX Apus 2000 boxes

I've got several UMAX Apus 2000 boxes (Apple clones with a PowerPC processor), exact model : 603e/200, not a C500, at last. This message has two parts. The first part has some questions, the second is some kind of report no how I brought a few of this boxes back to file again.

*** Questions ***

1) How come I am (sometimes... if I don't get a DEFAULT CATCH) able to boot scsi/sd@3:0 while I cannot see that device in the device list?

0 > devalias
pci1                /bandit@F2000000
fd                  /bandit/ohare/swim3
kbd                 /bandit/ohare/via-cuda/adb/keyboard
mouse               /bandit/ohare/via-cuda/adb/mouse
ttya                /bandit/ohare/escc/ch-a
ttyb                /bandit/ohare/escc/ch-b
scsi                /bandit/ohare/mesh
scsi-int            /bandit/ohare/mesh
ata                 /bandit/ohare/ATA
ata-int             /bandit/ohare/ATA
screen              /valkyrie

0 > dev scsi  ok
0 > ls
FF833EB0: /sd@0,0
FF834A38: /st@0,0

2) Most of my Apus boxes have a dead nvram battery, I need to reenter the special settings at each poweron or power cable plug. The nvram/battery is a RAYONAC Computer Clock Battery 840 4.5 Volts ALKALINE. Are there any successful reports on building a custom battery with standard Alkaline batteries, or are these batteries still available some place? The nvram/battery is some kind of a little monster, but the PINs are pretty standard, just like PC Speaker PINs.

3) Is cmd-alt-n-v supposed to work? This is the right command to initialize the nvram, even further than a set-defaults would do, right? What about cmd-alt-p-r I've seen somewhere, what does it do?

4-5) Some of those boxes I have don't work correctly. Beside the damn DEFAULT CATCH issue I am talking about in the next part of this message, I've got:
- jason which has no network interface
- musset which always gets a kernel trap
- salomon which has no network interface
- worst of all, lucrece that didn't even get the GONG sound at power-on. We cleaned-it up here at the lab and it finally GONGs again but NOTHING SHOWS UP on the serial console... Such a pitty!

I should clean the PCI slots with F2 spray and/or change the network cards for those with the network issue.

For the kernel trap, I don't really know what to do with it. I doubt it is a netbsd bug since I've got no such troubles on the six other machines,
total memory = 81920 KB
avail memory = 72992 KB
found ohare PIC at f3000000
bootpath: scsi/sd@3/NETBSD.MACPPC
mainbus0 (root)
cpu0 at mainbus0: 603ev (Revision 2.1), ID 0 (primary)
cpu0: HID0 0x90c001<DOZE,DPM,ICE,DCE,NOPTI>, powersave: 1
cpu0: ohare L2 cache enabled
bandit0 at mainbus0
pci0 at bandit0 bus 0
pchb0 at pci0 dev 11 function 0
pchb0: vendor 0x106b product 0x0001 (rev. 0x03)
ex0 at pci0 dev 14 function 0: 3Com 3c905B-TX 10/100 Ethernet (rev. 0x30)
ex0: interrupting at irq 25
trap: pid 0.1 (system): kernel MCHK trap @ 0x101570 (SRR1=0x41030)
panic: trap
I can only guess it's a hardware issue -- any idea what I should look into on the musset box?

Finally about the lucrece box which doesn't show anything on the console, any hints on how to deal with it?

*** Report on how I got netbsd up and running on the few other boxes that had less hardware issues ***
Connect with serial baud rate 38400.

Use that keyboard keys combination to get to the Open Firmware,

Those UMAX Apus boxes have a version 2.0 Open Firmware.

I configured the firmware with the defaults but auto-boot?, kind of sparcish way do deal with it,
        setenv auto-boot? false

I did the setenv load-base 600000 and setenv real-base F00000 but it doesn't seem to be mandatory for NetBSD to work.

Most of the time, using the internal CD player, I get this when trying to boot,
0 > boot scsi/sd@3:0 DEFAULT CATCH!, code=FFF00300 at   %SRR0: FF80AC9C
  %SRR1: 0000B070
and it hangs...  I need to reboot (ctrl-command-<that fat button on the
upper right corner of the keyboard which looks like backspace>). I got some internal CDs to work but most of them don't and I got like 90% DEFAULT CATCHes for one good run. So I used an external SCSI CD player with ID 6,
        boot scsi/sd@6:0 netbsd.macppc

Sometimes it was also asking for the file, so I had to provide an argument or an answer to the boot loader: "netbsd.macppc".

Some older references on those UMAX boxes on this list.

Subject: Re: UMAX C500 weirdness
which refers to an even older thread from someone else in 2003,
note that even if my issue was similar, mine are not C500 in the end, but Apus 2000.

Subject: openfirmware hardware reset ?