Re: Smoking gun: NetBSD 6.0.1 userland instability

On 13 March 2013 20:35, Donald Lee <MacPPC2%c.icompute.com@localhost> wrote:
> I tried another experiment.
>
> I fired up my NetBSD 5.2 system that ran my test case cleanly on the
> 6th of March.
>
> I was unable at that time to run my test case with 6.0 userland with a
> 5.2 kernel, but I didn't think of running a 6.0.1 kernel with the
> 5.2 system.
>
> Today I did that, swapping in the 6.0.1 stock kernel on the 5.2
> system, and ran my test case.  This is the same, clean, 5.2 system - same
> analog, same libraries, same everything.  Only the kernel is 6.0.1.
>
> It failed.
>
> I can say with confidence that this is a kernel problem, and one that
> was introduced in the transition to 6.0.1.  Since I have already tried the
> 6.1_RC1 kernel, I can also say with confidence that it is not yet
> fixed.
>
> This is a serious problem, because it is clearly corrupting data
> in some cases.
>
> I stand ready to help fix it if resources at my command can be of help.

If you have time what might be useful would be to get a rough idea of
when the change was introduced. I would probably suggest the
following, probably with the checkout & build on the fastest machine I
had to hand

- Checkout the current source tree from anoncvs at a date about midway
between 5.0 and 6.0
- run "./build.sh -m macppc tools kernel=GENERIC"
- If the build fails, pick another date, else test the generated version
- binary chop the date forward or back depending on whether the test worked :)

That should be able to narrow down when the problem change was introduced...