Re: Problems with NetBSD 6.0.1

Hi,

On Feb 1, 2013, at 8:22 PM, John Klos wrote:

Hi,

Although I have a few macppc systems already running netbsd-6, they were upgraded from older versions of NetBSD and they work fine. Today I tried to install NetBSD 6.0.1 from the macppc CD and I ran into several problems.

For starters, copying ofwboot.xcf to a small HFS partition and using that to boot the kernel off of the FFS filesystem, similarly to what's mentioned here, doesn't work:

http://julipedia.meroh.net/2010/01/installing-netbsdmacppc-on-mac- mini-g4.html

Here's what happens:

http://www.klos.com/~john/macppc_panic.jpg

I thought this might be due to the size of the kernel which is currently more than 8 megs, so I tried gzipping it. Now it boots fine, although USB is problematic, but I'll look into that separately. The same issue happens if the kernel or gzipped kernel is on the HFS partition.

Second, if the FFS filesystem is v2, the system panics when mounting. I don't have a picture of that yet.

Is this a known problem of ofwboot.xcf?

I am having increased problems since switching to NetBSD 6.0.1 on one of my servers. I don't think that I will be able to compile userland again on it, it is just too unstable. The system is crashing every 3 or 4 days and that is even if I reboot it everyday. I really don't know what to do, but I need to find away to make it work. There is an issue with whatever card is in PCI slot 3, at least if it is a network card. I have another system which is just like that one here at home and under NetBSD 5.1 I don't have this problem. The system that I have NetBSD 5.1 on is running diskless, but seems stable, yet I can't get it to compile the source tree.

Thanks,
Al