Re: -current on 15-inch Aluminum PowerBook G4

Hello,

On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 16:30:30 -0500 (CDT)
"John D. Baker" <jdbaker%mylinuxisp.com@localhost> wrote:

> As I have access to an Aluminum PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz, 1GB), I figured
> I would see how it behaves.  I have it net-booted using the snapshot
> from 201207181450Z (no-longer available from build system) since that
> was the last one that would boot.
>
> radeonfb must be disabled or the console becomes illegible.  The display
> is in sync, but characters render as dots and streaks.  X11 seems to
> handle everything fine with its built-in configuration.

Which model is it ( or rather, what's the PCI ID ) ?
Hardware character drawing is known broken on r3xx and newer and radeonfb
should use software there, apparently that didn't hapen so I'd like to know why.

> The built-in keyboard is USB.  The "delete" key sends ctrl-H by default.
> Pressing Fn-delete generates delete/rubout.  The Fkeys appear to send
> sequences appropriate for Fkeys.  Fn-F<key> does not send anything
> nor do they cause any changes to LCD panel brightness or other hardwre
> control functions.  Use Ctrl-Alt-F[1-4] to switch text consoles.
>
> Fn-<embedded keypad keys> causes them to emit their non-numeric
> functions; the keys with ".+-*/=" generate their symbols.  Fn-<arrow key>
> generates their Page{Up,Down}/Home/End functions.  Shift-Fn-{Up,Down}
> will scroll a terminal window and ordering of Shift-Fn does not matter.
>
> As such, there appears to be no default remapping of keys to replace
> middle- and right- mouse buttons.  I figured out how to create an
> appropriate xmodmap for F11/F12 (like on TiBook ADB keyboard), but it
> appears to need a "Pointer_EnableKeys" event bound to yet another key.
> I haven't found it yet, but is there a way to send this event without
> having it bound to a key?

That's a hack in the ukbd driver. I added code to translate keys to PMF events
for gdium, doing the same for Apple keyboards should be trivial.

have fun
Michael