Re: original iMac problems

> In-sync.
> Bottom 3/4:  black.
> Top 1/4: left 1/4: garbled white/grey/(green?) scintilating pixels
> Top 1/2: rigght 3/4: alternately white/grey vertical stripes, solid white
> or solid black.

This sounds to me like the video output hardware running at a different
configuration from whatever's driving the data in the framebuffer.
I've seen similar things when, for example, switching a SPARC
cgfourteen from 8bpp console to 32bpp X, or when starting X on a peecee
console.  In my experience they usually make sense when looked at as
two things treating the same memory differently....

\ / Ribbon Campaign