kernel panic attaching ahc

As mentioned here:

  http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2011/08/06/msg001446.html

My PowerMac G4 (AGP Graphics) suffers a kernel panic while attaching
the "ahc" driver to handle the SCSI card.  Details are as found in the
backtrace included in the message referenced above.  The relevant
portion of "dmesg" with the ahc driver disabled via userconf:

[...]
uninorth1 at mainbus0
pci1 at uninorth1 bus 0
pci1: i/o space, memory space enabled
pchb1 at pci1 dev 11 function 0
pchb1: Apple Computer UniNorth Host-PCI Bridge (rev. 0x00)
ppb0 at pci1 dev 13 function 0: Digital Equipment DC21154 PCI-PCI Bridge (rev.
0x05)
pci2 at ppb0 bus 1
pci2: i/o space, memory space enabled
Adaptec AIC-7850 (SCSI mass storage, revision 0x03) at pci2 dev 2 function 0
not configured
[...]

This SCSI card has Apple firmware (f-code IIUC).  Prior to the toolchain
update I never had a problem with it, although I'm not actually using it.