Re: NetBSD 5.0.2 can't handle 7455 CPU @ 1 GHz?

Most of this I have nothing useful to say about.  But:

> Note that I also see big blocks of crap in the system log
> (/car/log/messages).  I'm not sure if this is the kernel spitting out
> crap in its death throes, or some artifact of the disk being in a bad
> state at panic time.  the junk (mostly NULLs) _appears_ to be
> _instead_ of the data that should be there, not in addition to it.

Assuming you're using FFS, this is not surprising.  I've seen similar
things on other arches in the presence of anything that takes the
machine down without disk flushing, such as a hard wedge, a power loss,
or a sufficiently nasty panic.

The inode's size is getting updated but (depending on the details)
either the block numbers aren't getting updated, so the file ends with
a hole, or the block pointers are getting written but the data isn't
making it, so you're seeing leftover garbage which happens to be NULs.

\ / Ribbon Campaign