NetBSD 5.0.2 can't handle 7455 CPU @ 1 GHz?

Update:

I booted from the CD for NetBSD 2.1, 3.0.3, 4.0.1, 5.0.1, 5.0.2, and 5.1.

It does not fail reliably by any means.  About half the time on average
I get the hang.  The symptom is a complete freeze at the console.  Kernel
appears dead, network pings are without response, FWIW.

All but 2.1 behave the similarly.  NetBSD 2.1 runs reliably.  I went through
7 installs without any problems.

NetBSD 3.0.3 is particularly bad, in that version, it can't get through the
install's first newfs on the "a" partition. (7 GB partition)

Any ideas out there?

It looks like some change between 2.1 and 3.0.3 broke my CPU, but that
is just a guess at this point.

-dgl-