Wow! Firewire support?

I just accidentally discovered that my new 5.0.2 NetBSD system can "see"
an inserted FireWire (IEEE 1394) disk.

Very Cool...

I have believed up to this point that there was no support, because
I had see things on the list that hinted that it either was
not supported or didn't work.  I have never seen any discussion of
usage.

How good/stable is the support for this?  Is it widely used?

If it's stable and fully functional, this opens some attractive options
to me.....

-dgl-