Re: Installing 5.0.2 on a PowerBook G4

Hello,

On Oct 13, 2010, at 4:27 PM, Frank Wille wrote:

Michael wrote:

Today I found out that Apple is using the 7447A's DFS (Dynamic
Frequency
Switch) feature instead of a second gpio for it.

Yeah, there's something mentioned in the cpu node.

I tried to write a small patch to support it with machdep.cpu_speed
(see my other posting). Works
fine for me.

Nice :)

And it's not forgotten. I will have a look how to move the cpu- specific part into powerpc/oea/cpu_subr.c in the following days (weekend?). Suggestions
for the cleanest implementation are still welcome. ;)

I've been digging through the PPC750 docs in order to find out if my firewire powerbook has any ways to throttle the CPU in order to cool it down under low load and all I found is a mechanism to slow down cache accesses which the manual recommends as having the same effect as clock throttling with power saving enabled. IIRC it's also just another bit in a HID register.

[..cbb is dead..]
Do you have any other cards to try? All I ever used with NetBSD were
wifi cards.

That's my only card, unfortunately. I will ask if somebody else got another
card and report back.

Thanks.
Likewise, all I have here is a 16bit wi and a 32bit rtw ;)

[..radeonfb corrupt display..]
The resolution seems correct. No idea what's the problem here.

Hmm, your description sounds like a wrong stride ( radeons have some
funny alignment requirements there ) but if that was the case I should
see the same problem here, with a Sun XVR-100 running 1280x1024.

I checked the stride. It is calculated as 1280, which should be normal for a
width of 1280 pixels and a depth of 8 bits.

But maybe the depth is the problem? I found this comment in
radeonfb_init_screen():
       /* XXX: 32 bpp only */

In recent -current radeonfb should run in 8 bit colour. It used to be 32bit only because palette accesses didn't really work and I fixed that a few weeks ago, it works properly on my iBook's RV280 and the XVR-100. So, if this is recent -current the comment is probably obsolete, if it is older then the stride is wrong.

[..X11..]
Fatal server error:
can't switch keyboard to raw mode. Enable support for it in the
kernel

Well, enable support for it in the kernel :p
Otherwise, X -configure should do the right thing.

Ok, works with wskbd and wsmouse in xorg.conf. Thanks.

It worked with 5.0.2, but with current it fails again. First it didn't want to accept the xorg.conf, which I created with 5.0.2. Then, after I deleted
all lines which are obsolete, I got:

(++) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(EE) No devices detected.
Fatal server error:
no screens found

Anything interesting in Xorg.0.log? The mechanism to access PCI/AGP devices changed, the PCI IDs used by Xorg probably don't match anymore.

Also running configure no longer works and crashes:

# X -configure

X.Org X Server 1.6.5
[...]
(++) Using config file: "/root/xorg.conf.new"
Using rom_base = 0xb0020000 (pci_rom=1)
Using rom_base = 0xb0020000 (pci_rom=1)
Fatal server error:
Caught signal 10.  Server aborting

Maybe I missed something while updating my userland from 5.0.2 to current?

Backtrace of the core dump:
#0  0xefb786b0 in _lwp_kill () from /usr/lib/libc.so.12
#1  0xefb78674 in raise () from /usr/lib/libc.so.12
#2  0xefb77d78 in abort () from /usr/lib/libc.so.12
#3  0x01862bfc in ddxGiveUp ()
#4  0x01978cc0 in AbortServer ()
#5  0x01979424 in FatalError ()
#6  0x018747c8 in xf86SigHandler ()
#7  0xefb0b064 in opendir () from /usr/lib/libc.so.12
Previous frame inner to this frame (corrupt stack?)

That looks weird. did you wipe all /usr/X11* before unpacking the - current tarballs?

have fun
Michael