Re: X server through the xsrc sets on PowerBook G4 with NVidia card

Hello,

On Mar 31, 2010, at 1:39 AM, Taylor R Campbell wrote:

  Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 00:03:29 -0400
  From: Michael <macallan%netbsd.org@localhost>

  That looks like the vgahw module trying to map the legacy VGA
  framebuffer - quite useless on macppc even if it was enabled.
  There is a hack in the kernel to allow mmap()ing the first 128kB of
  video memory at 0xa0000 - doesn't do any good but it shuts up that
  particular error, enable it with
  options GENFB_FAKE_VGA_FB

Thanks.  It's spelled `WSFB_FAKE_VGA_FB',

Yes, I'm fluent in typo and brainfart ;)

and enabling that got me further.
I wonder why this wasn't a problem under NetBSD 4?  Was that
option formerly enabled, or did the driver formerly not try to do
anything with vgahw?

I'm not sure, the option was probably enabled since many drivers needed it, probably got overlooked with the transition to genfb since I fixed a few Xorg drivers to skip vgahw.

Next, the X server complained about the keyboard, and instructed me to
add `Options "Protocol" "wskbd"' and `Options "Device" "/dev/wskbd"'
to the input device section of my xorg.conf, after which the X server
launched, but seems to think I have a different keyboard model or
layout from my actual one.

X -configure should have these options included by default. Did you generate the config file with an older Xserver?
See if using /dev/wskbd0 makes any difference.

 Here is the stanza I have tried putting in
my xorg.conf, the rest of which was generated by `X -configure':

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "Protocol" "wskbd"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/wskbd"
        Option      "XkbRules" "xorg"
        Option      "XkbModel" "macintosh"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
        Option      "XkbOptions" "ctrl:nocaps"
EndSection

I have also tried omitting the last three lines (with no effect), and
replacing `macintosh' by `macintosh_old' (which caused openbox to
abort!) and `powerbook' (which seemed to have no effect).  X seems to
see consistent keyboard input which is just wrong; for example, what
should be read as `qwertyuiop[]' is instead read as `ijklnm352641'.
Any ideas?

You shouldn't need any of the xkb options.

Wait a second. Does your powerbook use ADB or USB to talk to the keyboard? If it's ADB - are there any other wskbd devices? If you have more than one wskbd ( for example, a built-in ADB keyboard and an external USB numberpad ) then X will freak out. Mostly because the mux device ( /dev/wskbd, as opposed to /dev/wskbd0, 1 etc ) when put into raw mode will forward native scancodes for each device and return garbage when asked what scancodes it uses, and the actual events don't have any indication what scancode set they use either. Yes, that's a bug. The workaround is to use /dev/wskbd0 and if necessary have another section for each additional wskbd instance.

Can the vgahw module in the X server just be replaced by a bunch of
noops on macppc?  That would be simpler than going through every
driver that uses vgahw stuff and #ifdef'ing it out.

Probably.

have fun
Michael